- 5 tbsp corn oil ( I used normal cooking oil)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tsp shredded ginger
- 1 tsp sliced garlic
- 6 whole dried red chillies
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 black peppercorn
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 450 gm boned leg of lamb, cubed ( I used 500gm beef)
- 21/2 cups water ( I used a little bit only)
- 2 fresh green chillies, sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Lower the heat slightly and fry the onions until they are slightly browned.
- Add half of ginger and half of garlic and stir well.
- Throw in half of the red chillies, the cardamoms, cinnamon, peppercorns, cloves and salt.
- Add the lamb and fry over a medium heat. Stir continuously with a semi-circular movement, using a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan. Continue in this way for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the water, cover with a lid and cook over a medium-low heat for 35 - 40 minutes or until the water has evaporated and the meat is tender.
- Add the rest of the ginger, garlic and dried chillies, along with the sliced fresh chillies and chopped fresh coriander.
- Continue to stir over the heat until you see some free oil on the sides of the pan. Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately.
***Recipe from 'BALTI COOKING' cookbook by Shehzad Husain.